Park Hours 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Park Office Mon-Thur 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Sat/Sun 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Click Here for Conditions and Info
Splash ‘n’ Blast, Learn More
Farmhouse Grille, Learn More
Open daily 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
You don’t have to travel far to enjoy the best of Michigan’s great outdoors, with Kensington Metropark, one of the most popular parks in Michigan. Kensington’s 4,481 sprawling acres of wooded, hilly terrain surrounds beautiful Kent Lake and is home to an abundance of wildlife and waterfowl. Kensington Metropark offers a multitude of recreational activities throughout the year, from biking and boating to cross-country skiing and tobogganing. In addition to striking sunrises and sunsets, 1,200-acre Kent Lake offers plenty of fun activities: swim at Martindale or Maple beaches, get soaked at the Splash ‘n’ Blast, or just spend the day fishing, boating or picnicking along the water. Take a tour of the lake aboard the Island Queen II in the summer and fall. Or, enjoy a winter day ice fishing or skating on frozen lake waters.
This first-class recreational area also features an 18-hole regulation golf course, 27-hole disc course, nature center, farm center, beautiful picnic areas and scenic hiking and biking trails for hours of enjoyment. With two and a half million visitors every year Kensington Metropark is a favorite place to enjoy Michigan’s natural treasures.
The Metroparks are committed to removing barriers, creating and improving access, and increasing recreation opportunities for all. As we look to the future, we will develop, update and improve facilities to meet or exceed ADA requirements, and look for ways to remove barriers to access so that individuals of all abilities have equitable access to Metroparks facilities, programs, services, and activities. In this section we have highlighted facilities and amenities that have been updated to improve access within this park. LEARN MORE
New accessible picnic tables and accessible grills are being added to several picnic shelters throughout the park system. Work will continue through the end of the year on the installation of new concrete grill pads and the securing of picnic tables in arrangements that allow for unobstructed movement around them. Updates to the picnic shelter rental information on our website are also being made. The information being added to the shelter pages focuses on accessible features at and around each shelter.
Our wagon at the Kensington Metropark Farm Center is equipped with a wheelchair lift allowing visitors of all abilities the enjoyable experience of a horse or tractor drawn hayride.
Hike-Bike Trailhead Kiosks
Constructed in 2019, these new trailhead kiosks are set in concrete pads enabling greater access to park and trail information. The associated bicycle repair stations can double as wheelchair repair stations.
Maple Beach Redevelopment
The new restroom building, and associated site redevelopment will meet ADA. Accessible walkways and paths to the beach are also part of this project. There are not any mats of accessible walkways on the sand surface of the beach currently.
The new playground at Maple Beach will go above and beyond ADA. Construction begins fall 2020. The playground was designed using the principles of universal design and includes a poured rubber surface, ramps to all play structures, slide integrity landing, group swings, shade structures, and many more features designed for inclusivity, accessibility, and fun.
Anticipated completion of the project is Spring 2021.
Nature Center Amphitheater
The Amphitheater is an accessible outdoor learning space for Nature Center programs. The project included construction of accessible walkways from the amphitheater to both the front and back of the Nature Center, seating spaces for wheelchairs, and benches of varying heights.
A Metropark Motor Vehicle Entry Pass gives you access to all 13 Huron-Clinton Metroparks. 2021 Vehicle Entry Passes are on sale now! Annual passes are valid from the time of purchase through December 31, 2021.
Resident pricing is available for patrons living in Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw, and Wayne county.
- Resident Annual Vehicle Pass: $40
- Non-Resident Annual Vehicle Pass: $45
- Resident Annual Boat Pass: $35
- Non-Resident Annual Boat Pass: $40
- Resident Annual Vehicle/Boat Pass: $75 – This combination permit for vehicles and boats allows a vehicle with a boat trailer to enter the Metroparks.
- Non-Resident Annual Vehicle/Boat Pass: $80 – This combination permit for vehicles and boats allows a vehicle with a boat trailer to enter the Metroparks.
Annual Passes Seniors (age 62+)
- Resident Annual Vehicle Pass: $29
- Non-Resident Annual Vehicle Pass: $34
- Resident Annual Boat Pass: $24
- Non-Resident Annual Boat Pass: $29
- Resident Annual Vehicle/Boat Pass: $53 – This combination permit for vehicles and boats allows a vehicle with a boat trailer to enter the Metroparks.
- Non-Resident Annual Vehicle/Boat Pass: $58 – This combination permit for vehicles and boats allows a vehicle with a boat trailer to enter the Metroparks.
Joint Combination Vehicle Pass
- Oakland County/Metropark Annual Pass: $64 – This combination permit for vehicles allows entry into the Metroparks and Oakland County Parks.
- $10 per vehicle
- $10 daily boat trailer fee
- Free park entry with a state-issued Disabled Veteran license plate. More Info
Walkers, bicyclists, and inline skaters can enjoy free access to all Metroparks by entering through the park roads and hike/bike trails.
NOTE: Michigan’s Recreation Passport, purchased for your Michigan license plate, does not allow entry into the Metroparks. The Huron-Clinton Metroparks is a separate regional park system than the Michigan State Parks, and requires its own entry permit.
- June 23 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- June 23 @ 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
- June 25 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- June 26 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- June 26 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- June 30 @ 11:00 am - 3:30 pm
- July 2 @ 10:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- July 10 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- July 17 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- July 18 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- August 6 @ 9:30 pm - 11:30 pm
- August 20 @ 9:30 pm - 11:30 pm
- August 21 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- August 22 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- September 18 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- September 19 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm